On the eve of their third place standing in the 2008 Most Promising Open Source CMS category of the PacktPub’s 2008 Awards, ImpressCMS has released their version 1.1 final. As a fairly new open source Web CMS, ImpressCMS is showing great promise for the future… and the new version contains a large amount of changes and upgrades that were community suggestions as well as bug fixes. Next year, they just might make the Overall Best CMS category.
ImpressCMS released their open source version last March, won a third place award and have now released their first big upgrade to the core code…and it’s only November. Being a community built and maintained project, ImpressCMS is able to offer a flexible, easy to use, all around Web CMS as open source…and free is always a great price tag.
ImpressCMS 1.1 Features
Below are just a some of the new features in ImpressCMS’s version 1.1:
- WYSIWYG Editor - The WYSIWYG editor will now be available site wide with no need to hack.
- Increased Security Options – User names and passwords are always a little difficult to maintain quality encryption on. The new version has updated and better options for encrypting both of these.
- Built-in Support for RTL (right to left) Languages – With the internet being in use in more and more countries, with more and more people who speak different languages interacting together across the web, this is a key feature when it comes to social marketing, networking or interacting.
- CAPTCHA Built-in and Used for system comments and registration forms – Adds additional security against spammers and hackers.
- Integration of OpenID as an Authentication Method for user logins – OpenID is becoming one of the most widely used forms of authentication out there. Studies indicate that frequently passwords just aren’t enough.
With the changes to how passwords are encrypted and stored in a database also comes an important notice for ImpressCMS users and community activists. According to a recent press release, “On 15th November 2008 at approximately 3 PM GMT -5…there will be changes made to the ImpressCMS network of sites. This change will affect any with accounts on the ImpressCMS network of sites and will require some action on your part. Read details here…”.
With a great list of updated features and a third place award under their belt, ImpressCMS may just be the Web CMS to keep an eye on. Need help with your ImpressCMS installation? Click here to get help with your ImpressCMS install.
- A Graceful Exit for Box?
- Has Google Delivered a Killer Blow to Microsoft Office Apps?
- Microsoft Leaves Ballmer Bleeding as It Moves On
- Manage Inbox Overload with In App Collaboration
- 5 Marketing Lessons From HubSpot
- Marketing Automation: 3 Trends to Watch
- Gartner Names 7 'Hype Cycle' Technologies