The twists, turns and tips you need for staying up-to-date by the water cooler.
Highlights of the Week
- Optimizing Your Website for Microsoft Bing. As with any buzz in the online world, many marketing blogs, including Forrester, have begun to postulate what effect Bing will have on SEO, even before it officially launched.
- SharePoint 2007 Content Migration, A Case Study. Migrating existing content into a SharePoint system, and specifically into a SharePoint Page Library — the foundation of a SharePoint Publishing website — is neither simple nor straightforward.
- Action Jackson Semantic Micro-blogging for the Enterprise. Akibot, a tiny new start up with a big goal, aims to combine artificial intelligence with microblogging. It’s as Akibot founder and developer Marcelo Pham says, "a very tiny step towards the machine reading our minds."
- MODx Evolution 1.0 Finally Sees Light. It's been a long time coming, but after all the talk over the past few months the latest version of MODx 1.0, or at least the latest version of MODx Evolution 1.0, open source web content management system, is here.
- Web CMS Vendor Ektron Finds Its Way to the Magic Quadrant. Ektron found its sweet spot as one of the Visionaries in Gartner's Magic Quadrant for Web Content Management. We've seen Ektron on other "lists" before, including Gartner's MarketScope. And now, hello, the Magic Quadrant.
- SDL Reports Strong Interim 1H 2009 Financial Results. With all the aplomb of a wet Monday in November, SDL (which refers to itself in a recent press release as the ominous sounding “The Group”) announced quite casually this week that it has made lots of money in the first half of this year.
- Twitter Killed the Journalism Star? Nah. For many, Twitter is like an uncontrollable giant, taking over things we never gave it permission to take over. Like our minds. Or journalism.
Most Popular Articles
And these are the articles you couldn't get enough of during the past week -- if page views are anything to go by, anyways. So, what was your fancy? Google and Microsoft Waves, SharePoint 2010, Drupal and the next generation of CMS.
- Microsoft Wave Smashes Google Wave, or Not. Microsoft's absolutely random decision to use Microsoft Wave as the name of a new project — not long after the Google Wave announcement — confuses many and irritates more. But it sure does generate some publicity. Here's what the splash is about.
- Webtrends 9 Reinvents Web Analytics Story Telling. Webtrends 9 has been officially released today, and with it comes a new model of web analytics story telling.
- Skype May Soon Be a Casualty of Licensing War Skype fans, we have something to tell you and you’re not gonna to like it: your Internet telephony service of choice may soon be defunct.
- Microsoft Blames Open Source for Sales Slump. Microsoft’s Q4 report to the U.S. SEC includes a rundown of their risk and competition factors, and on that list are both Linux and open source solutions.
- Consolidation in the Enterprise Content Management Industry - Who Will Be Next - Autonomy or Open Text? Part I. The next frontier of productivity will come from the unstructured data that includes your emails, you-tube videos, word document, power point presentations, pictures, etc.
- Autonomy Interwoven Takes a Bite at SaaS CMS, Landing Page Optimization. The Autonomy Optimized Landing Page offering comes hot on the heels of Webtrends’ newest version 9 release. It sure is a hot summer for the web analytics industry.
- Nielsen: Ready or Not, Here Comes Enterprise 2.0. Nielsen went straight to various companies -- from Sprint to IBM to Johnson & Johnson -- to see how they are dealing with the increasing expectation that Web 2.0 will drive Enterprise 2.0. The quick answer, they’re not.
The Economy is in the Dumps but Content Management is Booming
If you're looking to advance your career, or if your org has got empty seats in need of savvy CMSers, you're in luck. Catch the best fish of the season on our on our content management job board.
- Global Product Manager CMS at CoreMedia AG
- Content Creator/Strategist at Almighty
- Services & Solutions Sales Executive at Xerox
- Senior UI Developer at Fox
- Systems and WordPress Administrator at TechCrunch
Whether Traveling or Virtual, There are Events to Attend
Wondering how to spend your time in the next few weeks or months? Attend a conference or maybe just a webinar or two. Have a look at our new Events Calendar to see what's happening in your area.