The twists, turns and tips you need for staying up-to-date by the water cooler.
Highlights of the Week
- IBM's Social Strategy Includes Support for CMIS, User Generated Content and Compliance. IBM announced a number of updates and new projects that must have generated lots of excited whispers in the corners.
- Vignette's VCM V8 Finally Made It. If you wondered about the fate of the promised last year VCM V8 in the light of Vignette’s various tribulations and the Open Text acquisition, worry not. It is officially here.
- NewsGator Acquires Tomoye: Expands Solution Offering, Markets. NewsGator has just announced an acquisition deal with Tomoye.
- EPiServer Trumps Competition, Decides to Go Public. EPiServer is preparing to go public on the Stockholm Stock Exchange.
- Oracle Gets EU Thumbs-Up For Sun Acquisition. Oracle has announced that it has received regulatory approval from the European Commission for its acquisition of Sun.
- Migrate and Manage Your SharePoint Content with MetaVis Migrator. If you are one of those companies who wants to use SharePoint for more than a gloried file share, the MetaVis Migrator for SharePoint is a tool you should consider adding to your arsenal.
- Guardian News Agency to Make $3.2 Mil on iPhone App? The Guardian News & Media has sold 68,979 copies of its premium iPhone app, which launched in December. Does the future of web publishing belong to iPhone apps?
Most Popular Articles
And these are the articles you couldn't get enough of during the past week -- if page views are anything to go by, anyways. So, what was your fancy? IBM, open source and SharePoint.
- IBM Amps Up Collaboration Platform, Invites Partners to Play. The new development combines Big Blue's hosted Lotus services with the resources of IBM Research, yielding fertile ground for business-driven collaboration ideas for the cloud.
- Drupal vs Joomla: Which CMS is Best? Anyone trying to evaluate open source content management systems is aware that there aren't a lot of recent, useful comparative reviews.
- IBM Unveils New Project Focused on Future of Collaboration. Want to know what the next generation of collaboration software looks like?
- Gartner: Top Technology Predictions for 2010 and Beyond. Ready for some more predictions? Gartner got them.
- SharePoint vs Alfresco: A Platform Perspective. In our February article entitled Under the Covers: Alfresco's SharePoint Services (WSS) Killer we looked at Alfresco's take on providing basic document and collaboration services for free. Alfresco's project is called Alfresco Share.
- Installing SharePoint 2010 on Windows 7. One of the best kept secrets from Microsoft regarding SharePoint 2010 was something that SharePoint developers around the world were for crying for: the ability to run SharePoint on a desktop environment and not a VM.
- SharePoint Online Gets Extensibile When it Upgrades to SharePoint 2010. Microsoft announced a version of SharePoint Online for External websites also built on SharePoint 2010.
- See Drupal 7 Alpha in Action. A Drupal tutorial site has released a video preview.
The Economy is in the Dumps but Content Management is Booming
If you're looking to advance your career, or if your org has got empty seats in need of savvy CMSers, you're in luck. Catch the best fish of the season on our on our content management job board.
- Social Media Business Assistant at Mashable
- Technical Writer at DemandTec
- Senior Product Marketing Manager, Yahoo! ICE at Yahoo!
- Marketing Manager at Memeo
- Sales Engineer at Colligo Networks
- Software Engineer at NewsGator
- Senior User Interface Designer at Brightcove
Whether Traveling or Virtual, There are Events to Attend
Wondering how to spend your time in the next few weeks or months? Attend a conference or maybe just a webinar or two. Have a look at our Industry Events Calendar to see what's happening in your area.
- Bay Area TYPO3 Users Group -- Feb 4 (San Francisco, CA)
- O'Reilly Tools of Change for Publishing Conference -- Feb 22-24 (New York, NY)
- SXSW Interactive 2010 -- March 12-16 (Austin, TX)
- Drupalcon San Francisco 2010 -- April 19-21 (San Francisco, CA)
- CMS Expo 2010 (Evanston) -- May 3-5 (Evanston, IL)
- Cloud Computing Congress Asia -- June 24 (Kuala Lumpur, Singapore)