Welcome to the March 2012 installment of our what's coming from the open source projects in the next month. If you feel that your project was left out, we invite you to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to have a project representative added to the list of people we contact for updates.
- A save and publish button that makes it easier for editors to edit and publish content
- Support in the C1 Media Archive for streaming and caching, along with HTML5 and serving media from external sources
- Improved integration between the C1 Console and C# Functions
- A new Facebook package allowing Composite C1 users to create and manage pages on their Facebook profile, using functions and packages within Composite C1 (as shown in the video below)
The team also released the first two videos from their C1 Hackathon in January. First is the Composite C1 contrib project:
The second is on nopCommerce in Composite C1.
In March, the folks at DotNetNuke (news, site) were selected by AlwaysOn for its 2012 OnDemand Top 100 Winners. Membership on this global list is evaluated according to five criteria: Innovation, market potential, commercialization, stakeholder value and media buzz.
March also brought the launch of the Community Exchange, where members can socially collaborate, ask questions and exchange critical information on DotNetNuke products. Questions can be shared across LinkedIn, Twitter and Google+ as well and members can subscribe to topics that interest them.
DotNetNuke also announced a licensing agreement with 51Degrees.mobi, a provider of automatic mobile device detection, mobile web optimization and mobile analytics solutions. The 51Degrees.mobi Device Description Repository (DRR) will be integrated into all editions of DotNetNuke 6, including free access to 51Degrees.mobi Premium Data, specifications and characteristics.
In March, the Drupal (news, site) project held Drupalcon 2012 in Denver, CO. More than 3,000 Drupal developers and users attended, all focusing on the theme of "Collaborative Publishing for Every Device." To this end, Drupal founder Dries Buytaert discussed how the Symfony 2 PHP framework will play a key role on building "a rich mobile experience."
March also brought full support for Drupal distribution packaging. This addition enables distribution participants to develop with a consistent set of tools for managing version control, releases, issue tracking, collaboration and documentation. New features include support for external libraries, patches and development snapshots.
Those waiting eagerly for Drupal 8 can expect the feature freeze on December 1, the code freeze on February 1, 2013, and a proposed final release during August 2013. In the meantime, the call for papers and registration for DrupalCon Munich (August 20-24) has opened. Other upcoming events are DrupalCon Sao Paolo, Brazil (December 2012) and DrupalCon Portland, Ore. (2013).
- A RESTful web interface allowing control of Acquia Cloud sites. Current features include support for developer workflow, database and backup management.
- Cloud Hooks, which are scripts in your code repository that Acquia Cloud executes when triggering an action.
- Access to Drupal CMS capabilities such as dynamic content mashups, photo and video galleries, custom content, forms and surveys and social web experiences
- The ability to design with WYSIWYG tools that let you point and click to style page elements and themes, as well as advanced CSS tools
- The option to manage user logins through social and sharing features, letting them use IDs from Facebook (news, site), Twitter, Google+ and other popular social and business networks
- Rich media support, with the ability to embed video, images, RSS items and article previews from more than 200 sources, by pasting a URL
- One management dashboard for your Enterprise Drupal Gardens sites
- Predefined site templates where you can set brand guidelines with information architecture, page layout, content types, navigation, roles and permissions
- One-click site duplication from a template or an existing site
In March, the folks at Hippo CMS (news, site) celebrated along with the other participants in the Apache Rave project. The Apache Software Foundation (news, site) has elevated the project, which creates a web and social mash-up engine, to Top-Level status.
Coming on April 3 is the first OASIS WEMI face-to-face meeting in Copenhagen. Also, on April 20 at 13:00, there will be a Hippo Get Together in Amsterdam. Expect beverages, pizza and a focus on developers.
In March, the Joomla! (news, site) project was chosen to participate in the 2012 Google Summer of Code (news, site). The project also released Joomla 2.5.2 and Joomla 2.5.3. These are both security fix releases.
Coming in April are a number of Joomla! Days:
- Joomla Day Iran in Mashahd, Iran on April 12
- Joomla Day Algeria in Cyber-Parce de Sidi Abdellah Rahmania on April 18-19
- Joomla Day Netherlands on April 21-22
In March, the folks at Liferay (news, site) reached over 550,000 downloads of Liferay Portal 6.1, which has been out for three months. This is more than double the download rate of the previous version, Liferay Portal 6.0, in its first three months. They also started a series of roadshows to demonstrate Liferay Portal 6.1 Enterprise Edition.
- Edit pages with a friendlier interface
- Build templates with a new templating API and an updated Spring integration framework
- Deliver targeted content through content channels
- Detect what type of device you're delivering content to, then deliver the same content to desktop browsers and mobile devices, optimized for the receiving platform
- Play videos using HTML5, with Flash as a fallback for browsers that aren't HTML5-compliant
- Access and expose documents through CMIS
- Activate your product securely
- Access content through the standard JCR API
- Forrester: Move Faster on App Development
- World Cup Website Hacked: Is Yours Vulnerable, Too?
- A Man, a Blouse and an Awesome Customer Experience
- Reinventing Digital Asset Management
- Microsoft Strikes Google by Slashing Office 365 Prices #WPC14
- Thank You, Apple-IBM? Why Mega Deal is Good for Microsoft
- Can You Name the Top 10 IoT Companies?