But Symantec, if anything, has been through it all over the years and thistime it’s no different as it has also released Enterprise VaultDiscovery Collector, which goes after all the difficult-to-manageunstructured information on desktops and laptops as well as informationon SharePoint Server and file shares.
Again, the purpose ofCollector is to provide information for e-Discovery requests, whichalong with the extended support Enterprise Vault 9.0 offers for MES 2010Service Pack 1, Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 and Domino 8.5, givesthe combined release considerable muscle.
Enterprise Vault and e-Discovery
EnterpriseVault 9.0 provides easy compliance and e-discovery searches bycombining emails from Microsoft Exchange Online with on-premise archivedcontent sources into a central repository, allowing organizations toreduce costs, centrally manage e-discovery and support internalinvestigations.
Enterprise Vault 9.0 also expands content source supportto include Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 1 (SP1),Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 and Domino 8.5.1.
So what doesall this mean? Enterprise Vault as an entire package offers enterprisesthe ability to deduplicate archived content at the source, deleteinformation confidently with considerable back-up support, and discoverinformation across the entire enterprise. Long standing features of it include:
- Unified Archiving Platform provides enterprises with ability to move rarely accessed information to cheaper storage.
- E-Discovery and Search. e-Discovery with access to information defined by roles.
- Easy deduplicastion of content stored across the enterprise.
- Content collection beyond archive and across the enterprise.
Enterprise Vault 9.0
Addto that some of the new features that come with v9.0. As well asthe ability to combine content located in Microsoft Exchange witharchived content in a single location, it also comes with:
- Enterprise Vault Discovery Accelerator: Adds new deduplicationtechnology eliminates review and exports redundant files (and not to beconfused with Collector, which extends search to unmanaged data sources.
- New platform support: As well as MES and SharePoint 2010 support italso enhances Lotus Domino support by adding mail-in databases tocapture documents and workflows.
- Symantec FileStore appliance support:Along with Symantec’s FileStore appliance it provides secureinformation management for cloud environments.
- Integration withNetBackup: Enterprise Vault works with NetBackup to define automatic,policy-based migration strategies to other NetBackup media.
AndNetBackup has also been upgraded this time to NetBackup 5000, whichhelps enterprises protect information in physical or virtualenvironments while deduplicating data everywhere, and lessening theirdata storage footprint in enterprises as well as the cloud. All upgradesare generally available.