What good is the best Hadoop solution if it becomes unavailable when Enterprises users most need it? Not much, is the obvious answer. For Enterprises who use, or plan to use, Hadoop for mission critical applications that presents a real problem.
And WANdisco, a new entry in the Hadoop space, has the solution. The company, which splits its headquarters between Sheffield, United Kingdom and San Ramon, California, introduced a Hadoop distribution that can’t go down, ever.
It’s the only 100% uptime solution for Hadoop,”David Richards President, CEO and Co-founder of WANdisco said at the Stata Conference in Santa Clara, CA yesterday.
The company achieved this via its Non-Stop-Namenode, the first and only 100% uptime solution for Hadoop that eliminates the most problematic single point of failure impacting availability -- the NameNode -- which tracks the location of data within a Hadoop cluster and coordinates client access to it. It is built on top of WANdisco’s patented replication technology.
This announcement demonstrates our commitment to enterprises looking to deploy Hadoop in their production environments today,” said Richards in a press release. “If the NameNode is unavailable, the Hadoop cluster goes down. With other solutions, a single NameNode server actively supports client requests and complex procedures are required if a failure occurs. The Non-Stop NameNode eliminates those issues and also allows for planned maintenance without downtime. WANdisco provides 100% uptime with unmatched scalability and performance.”
This might make WANdisco’s distribution a clear choice for Enterprises that want, or need, to deploy global Hadoop clusters spanning multiple data centers.
Key features of the Non-Stop NameNode include:
- Every server is a continuous hot backup of every other. This is leveraged to provide automated failover and recovery after server outages without administrator intervention.
- Non-Stop NameNode automated failover and recovery features can be used to eliminate downtime for scheduled maintenance.
- Risk of data corruption due to “split-brain” is eliminated because all NameNode servers actively support clients and are always in sync.
- Non-Stop NameNode scales as more servers are added to the cluster to support increased workload without sacrificing performance.
- Unlike other solutions limited to a LAN or Metropolitan Area Network, WANdisco’s Non-Stop NameNode delivers the same capabilities over a WAN regardless of distance, enabling global business continuity.
- Provides full support for HBase and works with Hadoop 2, WANdisco Distro (WDD) and CDH 4.1.x.
Learn to Work with WANdisco’s Hadoop Distribution for Free
WANdisco today announced free online Hadoop training webinars. The first is a series of four bi-weekly sessions. Each is one hour long and they are scheduled for March and April.
Attendees, according to WANdisco, will learn about Hadoop’s history and architecture, get an overview of its major components such as HDFS, MapReduce, and HBase -- the NoSQL database management system used with Hadoop for real-time applications. A summary of Hadoop’s ecosystem will also be provided. Other topics to be covered include a review of public and private cloud deployment options and common business use cases.
Though these sessions are likely to be scheduled during the business day, what’s an hour every few weeks? The boss should be greatful that you’re interested in learning more about how your company will be able to leverage all of its data to the hilt in the not so distant future.
WANdisco will also be hosting other free tutorials on MapReduce and Hbase.
If interested you can sign up or get more information here.
Finally, just in case you’re wondering if someone’s paying us to tell you about free Big Data, Hadoop related training, the answer is an unequivocal “no.” We do, however, want to inform our readers of opportunities to get a glimpse of what’s going on in the world of Big Data -- it’s the future.