Box OneCloud collects your mobile content into one place, the Box cloud. The four premier apps announced are:
- Quickoffice: With Quickoffice, users can edit Word, Excel and PowerPoint files from a mobile device and save them back in their Box accounts.
- PDF Expert: Readdledocs' PDF Expert lets users annotate documents remotely and then save them back in the Box account.
- PaperPort Notes: This app includes voice dictation and recording tools.
- Adobe EchoSign: Now you can open, sign and send documents from your iPad.
When you open a file in Box for iPhone or iPad, press the new cloud logo button located at the top menu to reveal a dropdown menu with compatible apps installed on your device and capable of working with that file. Another button lets you add apps from a Box app gallery.
The app gallery shows which apps are "premier" and have Box integration, allowing them to be opened from within Box and saved again in the Box environment. "The other apps in the gallery have built integrations with Box, but have not yet become premier apps with that deeper round-trip workflow," the Box announcement explains.
To install apps on your iPad or iPhone, use the Box app to gain access to the iTunes App Store. IT admins have the options to use Apple's Volume Purchasing Program (VPP) for bulk distribution, or use the Apple Configurator, which allows them to mass-configure iOS devices from a Mac.
Integrating With Box
With the Box API, iOS developers can build custom apps and add-ons that integrate with Box. Brainshark, for example, announced that its free SlideShark app is integrated with Box OneCloud, which means users can upload PowerPoint presentations from Box to the app while also preserving animations, fonts, colors and graphics.
Additional new apps include:
- Fileboard: Manage contracts and other files from an iPad
- GoodNotes: Take handwritten notes or sketch diagrams
- Coaxion: Sync documents
- Podio: Collaborate and manage documents online
- DocScan: Scan documents from a mobile device and upload them to Box
Haven't tried Box yet? You can sign up for a free trial on the Box website.