Building Relationships, One Text at a Time
The winners of the inaugural 2011 Personalized Priority Messaging (PPM) awards were chosen for their innovative use of mobile messaging to build close customer connections, develop effective internal communications and improve global safety and security.
While case studies have been made that highlight how companies are using social media applications to improve customer experience, the innovative ways that companies are leveraging PPM to reach and influence their audiences more effectively hasn’t been well-documented. Until now.
The first place winners are:
Public Priority Award (by popular vote)
- Profile: Universal Alert aims to provide its customer base with a way to contact people, and potentially save lives, during an emergency.
- The SMS Solution: SMS has the highest rate of receipt and confirmation so Universal Alert can send critical and routine messages immediately and with minimal effort. The service is currently used by NASA and the U.S. Military.
- Profile: South Africa’s largest online marketplace provides buyers and sellers with an online platform to trade with one another.
- The SMS solution: The bidorbuy SMS Alerts service enables bidders on online auctions to receive text notifications on their cell phone when they are outbid. This means that bidders no longer need to be at a computer to find out whether they are winning the item. The bidders can subscribe to the SMS Alerts service and stay updated wherever they happen to be.
Small and Medium Business
- Profile: QLess’s mission is to eliminate waiting in line by letting customers hold their spot in a virtual mobile line, and get SMS notifications when they reach the front.
- The SMS Solution: QLess allows customers to stop standing in lines or waiting in waiting rooms, and hold their spot in line by using their mobile phone, thus replacing physical lines and waiting rooms with virtual, mobile lines.
- Profile: Databuzz, a FileMaker software consultancy, has developed fmSMS, a FileMaker-based solution that allows users to send and receive SMS text messages from their existing FileMaker solution.
- The SMS Solution: fmSMS is a companion to an existing FileMaker CRM database that extends the functionality by providing the ability to send and receive SMS messages, including long messages, delayed delivery and two-way SMS.
The Long Tail of SMS
Using SMS effectively often requires companies to distinguish between content that’s read at leisure and content that users need to know. Text alerts are different from Facebook updates and more widely read. Pieter de Villiers, CEO of Clickatell, shared an infographic that illustrates the prevelance and relevance of SMS applications:
As a result of these awards and their innovative approaches to SMS-based customer service, Clickatell enhanced its own PPM package to include better and easier opt-out options for customers, as well as best practices and templates for different use cases so that customers can best prepare content to maximize reach and optimization.