The writing is on the wall it would seem – traditional publishers need to invest in their online presence as successful publishing businesses have already done, or clear out the desks.
And there’s a lot of money in developing solutions that enable smaller companies take the online route.
With this in mind, Content Data Solutions is facilitating these companies by releasing its Web Publishing Solution as a SaaS.
WPS As SaaS
Specifically designed for news, journal and book publishers, this SaaS solution enables users to create, develop and – more importantly for newspapers – manage content, without the significant financial outlays associated with the installation of a Web CMS.
WPS is a browser based solution that allows content providers to revise and release documents in a collaborative environment significantly reducing the publishing to market lifecycle.
Using SQL Server to house content, metadata and other content linkages there are two repositories in the system that store editorial content and published content respectively. Content during the production process is tagged with a preconfigurable set of metadata elements.
When content is ready, it can either be published immediately, or listed for future publication. With versioning capabilities, the content can also be archived either manually or automatically so that newer versions of the content can replace the archived version.
Content Management Through Editor Interface
Accessed through the Editorial Application interface, WPS facilitates the management of content using a number of features including:
- Inbox: Up-to-date information on assignments listed by user
- Content viewing: Via browser screen
- Search: Through user-defined meta-data fields and viewed on screen
- Content editor: Standard word-processing features such as settings, spell check, tables and track changes
- Custom Functions: Editor comes with custom functions for inserting images
- Content property settings: Such as assignment status, dates, headlines, keywords
- Multimedia manager: Embed, or link toPDF files, Excel, or even video content
The system is managed through a central administrator who is responsible for setting permissions and privileges for users on the system.
Content DSI’s WPS SaaS is priced starting at US$ 500 per month for up to three users with 10GB of storage and up to 10MB of monthly internet usage.