Fishing for the Next Big Thing
With previous winners of Red Herring awards in the past decade including Google, Yahoo and Salesforce, this year's list is a good indicator of companies on the rise. Among the companies making the list or reaching this year's Global List were eZ Systems, DocuSign, Parallels and others.
With the Global 2010 kick-off event having taken place back in January, followers of Red Herring's business lists can now look forward to the European leg in Paris on 21-23 April and an American forum later in the year.
Companies can still be nominated for these events by Red Herring members, as long as they are privately held, in the tech industries and not a previous winner.
And (Some of) the Winners Are...
Among the 100 companies listed, which include green and renewable tech companies, genetics, software and hardware makers, are some familiar to our readers.
- Web CMS company eZ Systems was a nominee back in 2009 but failed to make the final 100. The company has had a busy time boosting its profile recently with version 4.2 of its eZ Publish package and a number of high-profile positional changes.
- Electronic signature software provider DocuSign has also made the list and should have a bright future as the demand for electronic authorization and recognition booms in response to worldwide legislation and the move to all-digital documentation.
- Attivio was noted for its information access and enterprise search technology. Attivio has big prospects thanks to its merging of BI data and data warehouse information to offer a comprehensive search that will give a better view of a company's customers.
- HubSpot offers inbound marketing software to drive customers to your company. With social media monitoring, analytics and a Web 2.0 approach, it encourages customers to find and come to you.
- Bulgarian firm Telerik, maintainers of the Sitefinity .Net CMS and builders of many components in a range of languages, will be well positioned for any upturn with its sitefinity.com showcase.
- Blogtronix offers an enterprise social media platform to engage customers and respond in real time to their needs and queries. As companies need ever-faster response rates, services like Blogtronix will become absolutely standard.
- Cloud and virtualization company Parallels is another winner on the back of massive success with its Mac app that allows users to run Windows operating systems.
- Brainpark.com also got a nod on the strength of its Web-based collaboration-focused enterprise social network.